On snow -- for SP9 contest

Snow... the white fluffy stuff. I haven't seen it in a few years at least. This owes to the fact that I moved to Honolulu, HI almost 6 years ago and before that I lived in Pasadena, CA for 4 years more. Even though this is the case, I am, as I alluded to, not a 'snow virgin' like a lot of the children are here. They are also afraid of the cold, which is another story... (it's all about the proper attire, people!)
Anyway, back to snow. I grew up far from here in a little town/city called Pittsfield, MA where the average annual snowfall was 120 inches (or so I've been told). That's 10 feet. Granted that it is spread over months (usually October to April), but that's still a good bit of snow. (Note: the photo is actually from a house in Pittsfield... and as to copyright, it's from a book published in 1907 so I think I'm ok.)
I have mixed feelings about snow -- not the snow itself, that's great and scientifically cool (see snowcrystals.com) and all that -- but actually about the ramifications of snow. Like "SNOW DAYS" - good, sledding - also good, cross country skiing - awesome, the stillness of the landscape after fresh snow -- beautiful, but on the other hand... shoveling/snowblowing - yuk (though when I was growing up I only had to watch my mom and dad do this, not participate in it myself), salt/sand mixture that corrodes cars and makes the springtime roads muddy and gravely - not good; brown crusted-over snowbanks everywhere - yuk. I guess I like the initial snow, but not the lingering aspects... oh, and plus ice over snow is REALLY bad - think car accidents.
Hope your winter is going well!
1 comment:
HaHa!!
Through absolutely *no* skill of my own, I found your blog! ;)
Patty told me.
Thank you for being the most wonderful SP9 spoiler!!
Thank you for spending time with me while you were in Seattle!! I had a blast, and hope you did too!
Hugs!!
Post a Comment